Atopica or not
Atopica is used in treament of Atopic dermatitis. Allergy is an immune-reaction (not auto-immune). However both involves an over-active immune system.
So our vet. recommended Atopica (Ciklosporin) also for an auto-immune reaction since it targets T lymphocytes and other cells including langerhans cells, eosinophils and mast cells. The purpose is to calm down the immune defence within the skin area.
- The scientific tests are not made on a very large group of individuals.
- The scientific tests are targeting Atopic dermatitis.
- We have talked to people who have used it on their dogs – no good result.
- We have read about people who have used it on their dogs – no good result.
- It is expensive like hell!
- It has not so nice side-effects.
- The recommendations for using it on SA is also a heavier dose per kg than for allergy.
Our reasons for still trying it out
- It is said that if used within the “first four months” it can make a difference when it comes to how aggressive the attack on the glands will be – we believe we have found it “early”.
- We are not vain when it comes to Manuel. He is the most beautiful Akita to us, with or without coat, but there are functional reasons. Akitas have such a functional coat!
- Right now there is still hope for the glands at some areas.
- It will be a tough dose for a short period of time.
- We can contact Niklas/our veterinarian as soon as we feel something is wrong.